10 TYPICAL ERRORS IN IELTS WRITING
IELTS Writing test requires your writing skills including a wide range of academic vocabularies, sophisticated structures and advanced grammars. However, there are some typical errors that you may easily make during the test. Let's find out with Testuru to get a better result! - learning IELTS online with Testuru
Table of contents
1. Absolute statement in writing
This error is often seen in IELTS Writing task 2 because candidates often do not pay attention to the authenticity of the sentence in the lesson. They often assume that their sentences are 100% true without any evidence which leads to a false statement. These errors happen when you use the present simple tense, past tense, or maybe words which are used to describe the truth such as ‘all’, ‘everything’ or ‘everyone’.
- Another disadvantage of school uniforms is that all schools make them a requirement .
- Violent films are the cause for criminal behavior in society.
Fix: Use modal verb such as ‘almost’, ‘some’ to reduce the validity of affirmative statements and create a more personal sentence so that no one can oppose to your writing.
- Another disadvantage of school uniforms is that some schools make them a requirement.
- Violent films can be caused by behavior in society.
2. Wrong linking words
The mistake of using the wrong word may cause the illogical meaning and incoherent sentence. And it even makes the judge understand the wrong idea that you want to convey. In my opinion, this error is less common than the first one because the main reason is that the writer is hasty or can not use these linking words properly.
- Smoking has been linked to many forms of health problems due to heart disease, lung cancer and high blood pressure.
- The result of access to the internet has been a more convenient source of information. However, the internet has allowed teacher to bring more relevant lessons to their classrooms.
- Smoking has been linked to many problems of health problems, such as/for example heart disease, lung cancer and high blood pressure.
- The result of access to the internet has been a more convenient source of information. In fact/ furthermore, the internet has allowed teacher to bring more relevant lessons to their classrooms.
3. Informal writing language
It is the use of informal writing language in daily life with abbreviations such as ‘...’ ‘;’ or ‘ect’.
- People have found the internet to their personal life, beacons, business ...
- A poor student cannot afford stylish clothes, fancy makeup, ect.
- People have found the internet to their personal life, beacons or business.
- A poor student cannot afford stylish clothes, fancy makeup as other luxury girls.
4. Informal words in IELTS Writing
This error is often caused due to a lack of vocabulary. Moreover, the deficiency of academic vocabulary can make your IELTS Writing task 2 informal and incorrect. Instead of using advanced language in writing, the writer uses the spoken language in his/her test. This mistake requires a very long time of accumulation and improvement in vocabulary to fix. Therefore, you should start to enrich and enhance your lexis to have a wide range of academic words.
- There are lots of benefits to the internet.
- Kids will often want to wear a uniform they like.
- There are many benefits to the internet.
- Children will often want to wear a uniform they like.
5. Word choice
According to the Vietnamese word by habit, many words will not be used as the meaning it wants to convey, instead of writing "leave out of poverty", Vietnamese people write "escape from poverty". It is this word-by-word-habit that leads to misuse of the word.
- Today fast food is populated all over the world.
- For example, Facebook has appeared and often become the most popular social network.
- Today fast food is consumed / enjoyed / sold all over the world.
- For example, Facebook appeared and was often become the most popular social network.
6. Wrong tenses in IELTS Writing test
IELTS examinees tend to think that tense in IELTS Writing task 2 is usually the simple past. Due to that subjectivity, they may not pay attention to choose the right tense. It is determined that the verb will be used in the present tense when embarking the test. Moreover, some of you even do not concentrate on the unity in the sentence as well as in your article.
- The role of women is changed over the last century.
- Some people believe this fact, however others did not.
- The role of women was changed over the last century.
- Some people believe this fact, however others do not.
7. Lack of article
"The" is the article that most of you often forget to put in your writing. The reason may be because you are negligent or you do not know the article “the” clearly enough. Therefore, this mistake is very common. However, it is still fine if you miss only once or twice. And if that error repeats in the article too many times, you will get a bad effect due to it.
- For example, someone has a disease. They search for it on Internet.
- On other hand, I strongly believe that our lives have had positive changes thanks to the internet.
- For example, someone has a disease. They search for it on the Internet.
- On the other hand, I strongly believe that our lives have had positive changes thanks to the internet.
8. Use contractions in IELTS Writing
Abbreviation absolutely should not appear in IELTS Writing either task 1 or task 2. So do not be a bit lazy and you will lose points due to this unworthy error.
- Our lives and the economy have changed dramatically thanks to the existence of the internet, but it’s also made the world into a global village.
- They’ll be better off buying things online.
- Our lives and the economy have changed dramatically thanks to the existence of the internet, but it is also made the world into a global village.
- They will be better off buying things online.
9. Lack of linking words
Lack of linking word will lead to a meaningless or wrong sentence. So you should pay attention to use the linking words.
- Fast food is high in fat, sugar.
- The growing trend of unhealthy foods is concerning, there are some solutions.
- Fast food is high in fat and sugar.
- The growing trend of unhealthy foods is concerning, but there are some solutions
10. Subject - verb agreement
Subject - verb agreement is an error when the subject and verb do not have the same identity which means the subject may be in singular noun, but the verb is in plural a verb.
- Genetically modified food are not completed understood, and thus often considered dangerous.
- There is two reasons for the encouragement of competitive sports in school.
- Genetically modified food is not completed understood, and thus often considered dangerous.
- There are two reasons for the encouragement of competitive sports in school.
These above errors are common mistakes in the IELTS test. I hope this article will be useful to you and help you discover your shortfalls in writing skills and have a good result in studying.
🔰 Testuru - Learning English online Savings - Efficiency - Anywhere, anytime.
➡️ Website: https://testuru.com/
➡️ Android App: https://bit.ly/2lRvEEk
➡️ IOS App: https://apple.co/2kdgJEh
➡️ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/testuru/
➡️ Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/testuru