55 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OUR ENVIRONMENT
Testuru will introduce to you 55 environmental vocabularies - the most urgent issue for our lives today. And this is also the reason why this topic will often appear in the IELTS Speaking. So let's look at this super hot topic!
1. Pollute: to add dirty or harmful substances to land, air, water, etc. so that it is no longer pleasant or safe to use
2. Over-abuse: the use of something in a way that is wrong or harmful
3. Dispose/release/get rid of: to stop holding something or stop it from being held so that it can move, fly, fall, etc. freely
4. Contaminate/pollute: to make a substance or place dirty or no longer pure by adding a substance that is dangerous or carries disease
5. Environmental pollution: the contamination of the physical and biological components of the earth/atmosphere system to such an extent that normal environmental processes are adversely affected.
6. Acid rain:is a rain or any other form of precipitation that is unusually acidic, meaning that it has elevated levels of hydrogen ions. It can have harmful effects on plants, aquatic animals and infrastructure
7. Activated carbon also called activated charcoal, is a form of carbon processed to have small, low-volume pores that increase the surface area available for adsorption or chemical reactions.
8. Activated sludge process is a type of wastewater treatment process for treating sewage or industrial wastewaters using aeration and a biological floc.
9. Preservation/conservation: the protection of the natural environment
10. Air/soil/water pollution: contaminated air/soil/water
11. Toxic/poisonous: causing death or illness if swallowed or absorbed into the body
12. Effective/efficient/efficacious: producing the result that is wanted or intended; producing a successful result
13. Plastic bag: a type of container made of thin, flexible, plastic film, nonwoven fabric, or plastic textile
14. Damage/destroy: to damage something so badly that it no longer exists, works, etc.
15. Cause/contribute to climate change/global warming: is long-term rise in the average temperature of the Earth's climate system, an aspect of current climate change shown by temperature measurements and by multiple effects of the warming
16. Greenhouse: a building with glass sides and a glass roof for growing plants in
17. Government's regulation: an official rule made by a government
18. Shortage/ the lack of: a situation when there is not enough of the people or things that are needed
19. Solar energy: is radiant light and heat from the Sun that is harnessed using a range of ever-evolving technologies
20. Wind power: is the use of air flow through wind turbines to provide the mechanical power to turn electric generators and traditionally to do other work, like milling or pumping
21. Solar panel: a panel that absorbs sunlight as a source of energy to generate direct current electricity
22. Polluter: a person, company, country, etc. that causes pollution
23. Pollution: the process of making air, water, soil, etc. dirty; the state of being dirty
24. Serious/acute: bad or dangerous
25. Excessive: greater than what seems reasonable or appropriate
26. Fresh/pure: pleasantly clean, pure or cool
27. Alternative: a thing that you can choose to do or have out of two or more possibilities
28. Damage/destroy the environment: physical harm caused to environment which makes it less attractive, useful or valuable
29. Offset carbon/CO2 emissions: the production or sending out of gas.
30. Preserve biodiversity: protect the existence of a large number of different kinds of animals and plants which make a balanced environment
31. Natural resources: are resources that exist without actions of humankind including all valued characteristics such as magnetic, gravitational, electrical properties and forces etc. On Earth it includes sunlight, atmosphere, water, land,...
32. Greenhouse gas emissions: is a gas that absorbs and emits radiant energy within the thermal infrared range.
33. A marine ecosystem: the collection of living and non-living things under the water, and their relationship to each other.
34. The ozone layer: a layer of zone high above the earth’s surface that helps to protect the earth from harmful radiation from the sun
35. Ground water: water that is found under the ground in soil, rocks, etc
36. The soil: the top layer of the earth in which plants, trees grow
37. Woodland/forest fire: an area of land that is covered with trees, is burnt.
38. Deforestation: the action of destroying the forest
39. Gas exhaust/emission: gas is emitted as a result of the combustion of fuels such as natural gas, gasoline, petrol, biodiesel blends, diesel fuel, fuel oil, or coal.
40. Carbon dioxin: CO2
41. Culprit (of): a person who has done something wrong or against the law
42. Ecosystem: a community of living organisms in conjunction with the nonliving components of their environment, interacting as a system.
43. Soil erosion: is the displacement of the upper layer of soil, it is one form of soil degradation.
44. Pollutant: a substance that pollutes something, especially air and water
45. Crops: is a plant or animal product that can be grown and harvested extensively for profit or subsistence.
46. Log: a thick piece of wood that is cut from or has fallen from a tree
47. Exploit: to use something well in order to gain as much from it as possible
48. Conserve: to use as little of something as possible so that it lasts a long time
49. Absorption: the process of a liquid, gas or other substance being taken in
50. Adsorption: is the adhesion of atoms, ions or molecules from a gas, liquid or dissolved solid to a surface.
51. Cut/reduce: to make something less or smaller in size, quantity, price, etc
52. Deplete : to reduce something by a large amount so that there is not enough left
53. Produce pollution/CO2/greenhouse (gas) emissions: creating pollution from CO2/gas
54. Raise awareness of environmental issues: to let people improve their knowledge about preserving the environment
55. Save endangered species: save animals that is at risk of no longer existing
🔰 Testuru - Ứng dụng luyện thi IELTS trực tuyến. Tiết kiệm - Hiệu quả - Mọi lúc mọi nơi.
➡️ Website: https://testuru.com/
➡️ Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.boot.ielts
➡️ IOS App: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1435508007
➡️ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/testuru/
➡️ Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4a1cDUHBju0ZzwPMKQjKMA/