HOW CAN I LEARN LISTENING EFFECTIVELY?
These are the 6 tips which Testuru has found out from WikiHow and we believe that these learning tips will help you a lot in your journey of learning and improving your IELTS listening skills. Let's check it out!
Table of contents
1. Listen to English radio or podcasts.
One of the best ways to improve your English listening comprehension is to download English-language podcasts or radio apps on your phone or MP3 player.
- You should then make an effort to listen to the podcasts or radio shows for at least 30 minutes per day. Do it in the gym, on your commute to work, or while you're sitting at your computer.
- Make an effort to understand what's being said, don't just let the English wash over you. Even if you find it too fast, try to pick out key words and phrases to get a general idea of what the conversation is about.
- If you can, make a note of any words or phrases that you don't understand and look up the translation afterwards. Then listen to the podcast or show again to hear the new words or phrases in context.
2. Watch English movies and TV shows.
Another fun way to improve your listening comprehension is to watch English movies and TV shows.
- Try to pick movies or TV shows that you will enjoy -- this will make the exercise feel like less of a chore. If possible, choose movies or shows that you are already familiar with, such as children's cartoons or blockbuster films. If you already know the basic story you will find the language much easier to pick up on.
- However, you should avoid watching movies or television shows with subtitles in your native language -- they will only distract you and make you less inclined to focus on understanding the English, which is the whole point of the exercise.
3. Read an English book, newspaper or magazine.
Reading is an essential part of learning a new language, so don't forget to practice!
- Find something you are really interested in -- whether that's a famous English novel, The New York Times or a fashion magazine and start working your way through it. If you find the content boring, you will be less inclined to persevere with it.
- Again, make an active effort to actually understand what you're reading, don't just skim over it. Highlight any words or phrases that you don't understand, then look them up in the dictionary.
- If you're alone, you could also try reading aloud -- this will allow you to improve your reading comprehension while also working on your pronunciation.
4. Enrich your vocabulary.
The wider your vocabulary and the more English phrases you learn, the easier speaking English will become.
- Again, spending time with native English speakers will help you to pick up on common vocabulary and phrases in a natural way. Although reading, watching English TV and listening to the news is also beneficial.
- Once you have learned a new word or phrase, you should make an effort to use it in a sentence -- this is the best way to commit it to memory.
- Another easy way to commit new words to memory is to make labels for everyday household items and stick them around your house or apartment. Then every time you use the kettle or look in the mirror, you will see the English word for these items staring back at you.
- You should also start a notebook of idiomatic phrases that English speakers use all the time. Some examples include "it's raining cats and dogs" (raining heavily), to be on "cloud nine" (to be very happy) or saying something is a "piece of cake" (when something is very easy). Sprinkling these kinds of phrases into your conversation will bring your level of English up several notches.
5. Find an English-speaking pen-pal.
You should consider getting an English-speaking pen-pal!
- Having an English-speaking pen-pal combines your English writing practice with the excitement of getting a letter or email!
- Your pen pal may be someone who is learning English like you, or they may be a native English speaker who wants to practice their foreign language skills by writing to you in your native tongue.
- Having a pen pal from an English-speaking country (such as the United States, Britain, Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa, for example) will also allow you to learn more about the culture and what life is like in that part of the world.
6. Don't be afraid to make mistakes.
The biggest obstacle that stands in the way of learning a new language is the fear of making mistakes.
- This fear serves no purpose -- it is merely a hindrance that prevents you from reaching your goal of fluency.
- Don't be afraid of making a mistake and don't be shy! Of course you can't speak a new language perfectly at the start. Try to express yourself albeit with difficulty.
- Remember that everyone makes mistakes when they are learning a new language -- it's a rite of passage. You will almost certainly have your fair share of awkward or embarrassing moments when you accidentally say something rude or incorrect, but this is all part of the fun.
- Also remember that you are not aiming for perfection when learning to speak English, you are aiming for progress. Making mistakes is all part of the learning process, they will help you to become better, so embrace them!
7. Testuru - English Talk - your professional English speaking environment
Coming to English Talk, you will have the opportunity to access an accurate English speaking practice environment. Because the people whom you talk to are the young and active students from English-speaking countries such as the UK, the US, Australia, ... So talking and practicing with your peers will definitely be interesting and comfortable because you can introduce each other about the cultural characteristics of your country.
Therefore, practice speaking with English Talk is also the best opportunity for you to make new international friends. Besides, you also experience the cultural diversity of young people from regions of different countries around the globe.
Moreover, learning English online on English Talk also gives you comfort because here you will learn by the one-on-one method. So you can completely feel and comfortable to chat with your instructor without fear of embarrassment or embarrassment for speaking wrong.
🔰 Testuru - Online English learning application Savings - Efficiency - Anywhere, anytime.
Have you realized the benefits of using English Talk now? Please, do not hesitate to click on our:
➡️ Website: https://testuru.com/
or download app Testuru
to experience wonderful features of Testuru.
Moreover, you can check Testuru’s fanpage and youtube channel to get more detail information and interesting tips
🔰 Testuru – Learning English online Savings - Efficiency - Anywhere, anytime.